(AFP/Juan Mabromata, File)
JERUSALEM (Ma'an) -- An Israeli court in Jerusalem on Thursday sentenced a Palestinian man to 18 months in prison for allegedly using the Facebook for "incitement" to violence.
Misbah Sbeih Abu Sbeih, 38, was given a one year sentence as well as a six-month suspended sentence for incitement, and his phone was confiscated as the tool used for the crime, according to head of the Jerusalem detainees' families committee Amjad Abu Asab.
Abu Sbeih was detained by Israeli forces on Jan. 12, 2015, during a court hearing for his son Ezzedin.
Over the last year, a number of Palestinians have been detained by Israeli forces for posts on Facebook.
In December last year, eight Palestinians were convicted of "incitement via Facebook."
Their indictment said that Israeli intelligence had monitored the men's Facebook postings since June 2014, after three Israeli settlers were kidnapped and killed in the occupied West Bank.
The intelligence said that their online comments had raised tensions across Jerusalem and encouraged acts of "terrorism."
They cited in particular postings on the murder of 16-year-old Muhammad Abu Khdeir, who was kidnapped and killed by a group of Jewish extremists in July, as well as on a spate of Palestinian attacks on Israeli military and civilians that mostly took place in occupied East Jerusalem.
Israelis on social media routinely and openly incite violence against Palestinians, especially during heightened periods of tensions such as last summer's military offensive on Gaza, but none have yet faced prosecution.
In recent months, the Palestinian Authority has also arrested Palestinians over postings on Facebook that have been critical of the PA and the Palestinian security services.