JERUSALEM (Ma'an) -- An Israeli court on Sunday extended the detention of a Palestinian who was apprehended by Israeli forces during a deadly raid into a Hebron hospital last week, a lawyer for the Palestinian Authority Committee for Prisoners' Affairs said.
Lawyer Karim Aiwa said that the court had extended the detention of Azzam Shalaldah, 20, by another five days in order for Israeli authorities to continue their investigation.
Aiwa said that Shalaldah had been unable to appear in court due to his health. He said he had visited Shalaldah in Shaare Zedek hospital in Jerusalem, and that he was now in a light and stable condition, but his hands and feet were cuffed to the hospital bed.
Toward the end of October, Shalaldah was shot and wounded by an Israeli settler in unclear circumstances outside the Hebron village of Sair.
The settler alleged that Shaladah had stabbed him, and an Israeli hospital spokesperson later confirmed that the settler appeared to have been a light stab wound on his chest.
However, witnesses said that Shaladah was only a bystander and the actual attacker fled into Sair. An Israeli army spokesperson said at the time that "the assailant fled from the scene," and she had no information of any Palestinians being shot.
Shalaldah was afterward moved to al-Ahli hospital in Hebron city for treatment, but last week, up to 20 undercover Israeli forces stormed the hospital in order to detain him.
During the raid, they shot and killed Shalaldah's 28-year-old cousin, Abdullah Shalaldah. An Israeli army spokesperson said that Abdullah attempted to "attack" the soldiers, although witnesses said he was shot the moment he came out of a bathroom adjoining his cousin's room.
The raid has been strongly condemned by rights groups, including Doctors Without Borders (MSF), who called on Israeli forces to respect "the special status" that international humanitarian law "grants to medical facilities and the wounded and sick."