Monday, Sept. 25
Latest News
  1. Israeli forces detain Palestinian over 'inciting terrorism'
  2. Israeli forces seize Palestinian-owned vehicles in Tubas
  3. Israeli settlers torch olive trees south of Nablus
  4. Israeli military vehicles, bulldozers raid southern Gaza Strip
  5. Israeli forces detain 21 Palestinians over the course of Rosh Hashanah
  6. Clashes erupt in Aida refugee camp following Israeli raid
  7. Israeli forces detain two 14-year-old Palestinians in Hebron
  8. Poll: Majority of Palestinian public want Abbas to resign
  9. Jerusalem Churches denounce 'attack' on Catholic monastery
  10. Rights group demands Israel connect Bedouin village school to power

3 injured by live fire during Israeli raid on Tulkarem

Dec. 10, 2015 11:13 A.M. (Updated: Dec. 10, 2015 4:56 P.M.)
TULKAREM (Ma’an) -- Clashes broke out between Palestinian youths and Israeli military forces Wednesday night as the military launched a search operation in Tulkarem for a suspected gunman who opened fire on two Israelis, locals said.

Shaul Nir, former member of the Jewish Underground -- a group which carried out a string of terror attacks in the 1980s -- was seriously to moderately wounded in a drive-by shooting shooting near Tulkarem Wednesday night. His wife Rachel Nir was lightly wounded.

The Israeli military raided Palestinian towns and villages throughout the Tulkarem governorate following the shooting in search of the suspect.

At least three Palestinians were shot in their lower extremities with live fire when clashes broke out during the raids, locals told Ma’an.

The injured were transferred to Thabet Ibn Thabet hospital for medical treatment, medical sources said.

Witnesses told Ma’an that Israeli forces raided homes near the Farun village, and detained two Palestinians from the Noor Shams refugee camp.

Local farmland was set ablaze when Israeli forces fired flares during a raid on the village of Ezbet Shufa, southeast of Tulkarem, nearby the illegal settlement of Avne Hefez, locals said.

Omar al-Saadi, a resident of Ezbet Shufa, told Ma’an that Israeli soldiers raided his home, seized camera records at gunpoint, and questioned him about the shooting attack.

An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma'an that no detentions were made in the Tulkarem governorate overnight Wednesday, but said the area had been sealed in search of the gunman responsible for the shooting attack.

Wednesday's drive-by shooting was the most recent in a string of attacks carried out by Palestinian individuals that have left 19 Israelis dead since Oct. 1.

At least 115 Palestinians have been killed during the same time period.

The Nir couple was reportedly driving to visit their daughter in the illegal settlement of Avne Hefez -- located southeast of the city of Tulkarem --when a suspected Palestinian gunman opened fire on their vehicle.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017