Wednesday, Jan. 23
Latest News
  1. Tensions rise in Israeli prisons after two-day raid at Ofer
  2. CEC concludes project on empowerment of women political participation
  3. Italy donates €1.5 million to UNRWA
  4. Israeli court issues lien on land in Jerusalem belonging to Arafat
  5. Undercover Israeli forces kidnap Palestinian in Bethlehem
  6. Palestinian demolishes own shop in Issawiya to avoid Israeli fines
  7. Israel delivers demolition notices to Palestinian homes in Issawiya
  8. Erekat: 'PA informs US to stop sending security aid'
  9. Israeli tanks open fire in northern Gaza
  10. Israel opens new Eilat airport for 'times of conflict'

Funeral held for Palestinian mother killed after alleged attack

Dec. 26, 2015 7:00 P.M. (Updated: Feb. 1, 2016 8:13 P.M.)
RAMALLAH (Ma'an) -- Thousands marched Saturday in the funeral of a Palestinian mother killed the day before by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank town of Silwad.

Israeli border guards opened fire on the vehicle of Mahdia Hammad, 38, after guards reportedly saw her quickly driving towards their group while clashes were taking place nearby.

Locals in the area at the time of Hammad's death told Ma'an that the woman was driving at a normal pace some 30 meters away from the Israeli military post when forces opened heavy fire towards her.

Medical sources said that Hammad was hit with more than 10 bullets in the head, eye, face, chest and pelvis. Her body was held by Israeli forces for more than two hours before being returned to the family.

Hammad was a mother of four, the youngest of whom is five months old.

Saturday’s funeral set off from the Palestine Medical Complex in Ramallah towards Silwad before heading to the town’s cemetery for burial, locals told Ma’an.

The town of Silwad -- located around 12 kilometers outside of the West Bank hub of Ramallah -- has been site to recurring confrontation between Palestinian residents and Israeli military forces since October.

Three suspected vehicular attacks have been carried out on Israeli military forces by residents of the town, once in October and twice this month.

The October attack left a Palestinian killed and an Israeli police officer injured at a checkpoint by the illegal Ofra settlement that lies directly to to the south of Silwad.

Shortly after, demolition orders were delivered to the homes of two Silwad families by Israeli authorities who said their sons belonged to a military cell responsible for carrying out a June 29 attack that killed an Israeli soldier near Nablus.

Israeli forces on Nov. 14 demolished the home of one of the two, belonging to the family of Muad Hamad. The demolition damaged eight neighboring structures according to investigations by Israeli rights group B’Tselem.

One week prior to Hammad’s death on Friday, Israeli forces shot 21-year-old Muhammad Abd al-Rahman Ayyad after he attempted to run over Israeli forces present in Silwad at the time.

Israeli forces have since carried out preparations to demolish his family’s home.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015