JENIN (Ma’an) -- Palestinian security services on Saturday managed to arrest the “number one and most dangerous fugitive” in the northern occupied West Bank district of Jenin, according to the spokesperson for the Palestinian police.
Luay Irzeiqat said in a statement that Palestinian security services detectives were notified that the “most dangerous fugitive” in the Jenin district was in a house in the village of Silat Al-Harithiya. A squad immediately rushed to area and inspected the house.
The statement said that weapons and ammunition were seized during the raid, but that the suspect fled the scene. However, Palestinian police managed to apprehend him shortly thereafter.
The suspect, according to Irzeiqat, is accused of murder, shooting at civilians and security officers, illegally possessing weapons, kidnappings, and “creating chaos and disturbing the peace,” among other offences.
The arrest of the man, who was not identified, came hours after unidentified gunman shot and injured an off-duty police officer
in Jenin, and fled the scene.
It remained unclear if the arrest was related to the Saturday’s shooting, or a previous shooting
on Monday in the Jenin village of Bir al-Basha for which police said they managed to immediately arrest the suspect.
Palestinian Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah announced in July plans to amend the penal code and "arrest all fugitives and put them to justice,” amid an ongoing crackdown of PA security forces on criminal activity in the West Bank.
The crackdown turned deadly last month, after two Palestinian policemen were killed during a raid into the Old City of Nablus in the northern occupied West Bank. The ensuing manhunt left two Palestinians shot dead by police, and the suspected “mastermind” behind the shooting beaten to death in jail after his arrest.