Thursday, Feb. 23
Latest News
  1. Amnesty alarmed by health condition of hunger-striking prisoner al-Qiq
  2. Voter registration for Palestinian municipal elections postponed
  3. PA court sentences 3 to prison for trading settlement products
  4. Longest-serving Palestinian prisoner resentenced to life in prison
  5. PA bans Palestinian lawmaker from leaving West Bank
  6. Erdan backtracks on claims of ramming attack during Umm al-Hiran raid
  7. Israeli authorities refuse EU delegation entry into Gaza
  8. Israeli forces detain 24 Palestinians in predawn West Bank raids
  9. EU condemns Israeli demolitions of Palestinian structures in Area C
  10. Israeli forces detain Palestinian youth over Facebook post

Israeli forces measure 2 slain Palestinians' homes for punitive demolitions in Nablus

Oct. 13, 2016 4:08 P.M. (Updated: Oct. 13, 2016 7:19 P.M.)
(File)
NABLUS (Ma’an) -- Israeli forces raided the northern occupied West Bank city of Nablus at dawn on Thursday and took measurements of the homes of two Palestinians killed in November after allegedly carrying out stabbing attacks, in apparent preparations for punitive demolitions.

Taha Qatanani, the father of slain teenager Ashraqat Qatanani, told Ma’an that Israeli forces raided his family’s house at 4 a.m. on Thursday and took measurements of the sixth floor apartment.

He added that Israeli forces told him they would demolish his home, without handing him a written official notice.

Qatanani said that he would not lodge an appeal to Israeli courts because he did not recognize the Israeli judicial system as legal.

Elsewhere in Nablus, Israeli forces raided the home of Baseem Abd al-Rahman Salah, at 3 a.m., Shadi Salah, the slain Palestinian’s brother, told Ma’an.

He added that Israeli forces informed his family that the measurements were being taken in preparation for a possible future demolition.

An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an that they were looking into the reports.

Ashraqat Qatanani,16, was run over, shot, and killed by an Israeli settler on Nov. 22, 2015 near the Nablus-area village of Huwarra. The settler claimed that Ashraqat had intended on carrying out a stabbing attack.

Baseem Salah, 38, was killed by Israeli police on Nov. 29, 2015 after stabbing and injuring an Israeli police officer near Damascus Gate in the Old City of occupied East Jerusalem.

Since a wave of unrest spread across the occupied Palestinian territory last year, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu fast-tracked punitive home demolitions in an effort to “deter” attacks carried out by Palestinian individuals.

The move came despite past recommendations by an Israeli military committee that the practice did not deter attacks.

While families who receive demolition orders are given the opportunity to appeal the measures, Israel’s High Court of Justice typically rejects such appeals, according to Israeli watchdog Hamoked.

Israeli rights group B’Tselem has meanwhile condemned the practice as “court-sanctioned revenge” carried out on family members who have not committed crimes, while constituting an illegal practice under international law and amounting to collective punishment.

According to Ma'an documentation, at least 233 Palestinians have been killed by Israelis since the beginning of a wave of unrest in October 2015, while 34 Israelis have been killed by Palestinians during the same time period.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017