NABLUS (Ma’an) – Israeli authorities reopened the entrance of the Palestinian village of Aqraba after a month and a half of closure in the northern occupied West Bank district of Nablus, local sources told Ma’an on Wednesday.
Locals said that Palestinian bulldozers removed the cement blocks which had been installed by Israeli forces at the entrance of the village on Sept. 20.
Israeli forces had closed the entrance after claiming that village residents threw stones at cars belonging to Israeli settlers driving on the nearby road.
An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an that they would look into the reports.
The main entrance of Aqraba had been closed for six months
earlier this year for alleged security reasons.
The occupied West Bank has seen an increase in arbitrary military road closures since October 2015, when a wave of unrest first erupted across the occupied Palestinian territory, leading to periodic blockade of Palestinian villages, towns, checkpoints, and entire districts.
Israel’s response to attacks -- such as punitive home demolitions, the sealing of entire villages, mass detention campaigns, and withholding the bodies of Palestinians slain while committing attacks -- has been condemned by rights groups, who have said the measures amount to “collective punishment” and represent a clear violation of international law.