NABLUS (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces on Friday returned the body of a 17-year-old Palestinian, who was killed by Israeli forces following a stabbing attack that injured three Israelis earlier this month, to his home in the district of Nablus in the northern occupied West Bank.
Ahmad Ghazal’s body was delivered to the Jit crossroads in the western part of Nablus city. Palestinians then transferred Ghazal’s body to the Rafidiya Governmental Hospital in the city.
It has not yet been decided if Ghazal’s funeral would be held on Friday or Saturday.
Ghazal was shot and killed by Israeli forces
after carrying out a stabbing attack in the Old City of occupied East Jerusalem, which lightly injured three Israelis, at the start of this month.
An eyewitness told Ma’an at the time that he saw the the boy stab “two settlers” on al-Wad street in the Old City and escape into the nearby building, before Israeli forces ambushed Ghazal in a small apartment, which had no alternate exits.
“Then we heard sounds of intensive shooting coming from the building," he said."They could have detained him -- he was surrounded by a large number of soldiers. But they executed him."
In a recording shared on social media by local watchdog the Wadi Hilweh Information Center, another eyewitness and shop owner on al-Wad street also said that Israeli police “could have detained him (Ghazal), but they didn't want to.”
“They ambushed him in the staircase. They could have detained him without any problem, but they wanted to kill him instead. We heard four soldiers riddling him with bullets. It was like a battlefield.”
Ghazal is one of 19 Palestinians who have been killed since the start of this year,
Activists and rights groups have long denounced what they have termed a "shoot-to-kill" policy against Palestinians who did not constitute a threat at the time of their death, or who could have been subdued in a non-lethal manner -- amid a backdrop of impunity for Israelis who committed the killings.