Thursday, Aug. 17
Latest News
  1. Israeli court extends detention of Palestinian assailant's relatives
  2. Israeli forces detain 12 Palestinians during overnight West Bank raids
  3. NGO: Palestinian territory facing 'worsening child protection crisis'
  4. Israeli court extends detention of Islamic Movement leader
  5. Israeli forces demolish homes in Bedouin villages in southern Israel
  6. Rafah crossing opened for 4th consecutive day
  7. Hamas security officer killed, 1 injured in suicide bombing attack
  8. Israeli forces blow up home of slain Palestinian in Ramallah area
  9. Israeli forces confiscate 47 dunams of land from Hebron-area village
  10. Israelis set up caravans on outskirts of Bethlehem-area settlement

17-year-old Palestinian injured with live fire in Kafr Qaddum clashes

June 23, 2017 7:02 P.M. (Updated: June 24, 2017 1:58 P.M.)
QALQILIYA (Ma’an) -- A Palestinian teenager was injured with live fire on Friday as Israeli forces suppressed the weekly march in the village of Kafr Qaddum in the northern occupied West Bank district of Qalqiliya.

Coordinator of the village’s popular resistance Murad Shteiwi told Ma’an that 17-year-old Subhi Abu Dayya was injured with a full metal jacket (FMJ) bullet in his right hand during clashes.

The teen was transferred to Rafidiya hospital in Nablus city, where his injury was described as serious.

According to Shteiwi, Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters and FMJ bullets at protesters, while soldiers raided local homes and turned them into temporary military posts.

Shteiwi added that many locals suffered from tear gas inhalation and were treated on the scene by medical crews.

An Israeli army spokesperson said they were looking into reports.

This story continues below.

Residents of Kafr Qaddum began staging weekly protests in 2011 against land confiscations, as well as the closure of the village's southern road by Israeli forces. The road, which has been closed for 14 years, is the main route to the nearby city of Nablus, the nearest economic center.

The Israeli army blocked off the road after expanding the illegal Israeli settlement of Kedumim in 2003, forcing village residents to take a bypass road in order to travel to Nablus, which has extended the travel time to Nablus from 15 minutes to 40 minutes, according to Israeli rights group B’Tselem.

Hundreds of Palestinians have been detained during the demonstrations since their start in 2011, and at least one protester was killed, while 84 have been injured by live fire, including 12 children, Shteiwi told Ma'an during a similar protest last year.

Some 120 others have been detained at demonstrations and were subsequently held in Israeli custody for periods ranging between four and 24 months, Shteiwi said at the time, adding that they had paid fines totaling some 25,000 shekels (approximately $6,488).

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017