Wednesday, July 18
Latest News
  1. Israeli authorities demolish Palestinian home in East Jerusalem
  2. Gaza's 'incendiary kites unit' to escalate fires until siege lifted
  3. Dozens of Israeli settlers storm Al-Aqsa Mosque
  4. Israeli bulldozers uproot 100 Palestinian olive trees in Salfit-area
  5. Israeli forces detain 29 Palestinians in overnight West Bank raids
  6. Israeli forces detain 3 minors at Nablus- area checkpoint
  7. Knesset approves 'Breaking the Silence' law
  8. Israeli forces demolish house, structures in East Jerusalem
  9. Israeli forces confiscate 120-dunam land in Bethlehem
  10. Israeli airstrikes target fire kite-flyers in Gaza, 2 injured

Clashes erupt between Israeli forces and Palestinians in Sair, al-Khader

July 25, 2017 11:54 A.M. (Updated: July 25, 2017 5:18 P.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Clashes broke out on Monday night between Israeli forces and Palestinians in the Hebron-area village of Sair and the Bethlehem-area village of al-Khader, both in the southern occupied West Bank.

Locals in Sair told Ma’an that Israeli forces stormed the al-Duwwara area of the town, prompting young men to throw stones at them. Israeli forces fired tear gas and rubber-coated steel bullets at the Palestinians.

In al-Khader, Israeli forces stormed the cemetery and Martyr Street in the old town, located close to Israeli settler bypass road Route 60 that connects Hebron to Jerusalem.

According to locals, Israeli forces showered the area in tear gas and stun grenades. Young Palestinian men threw stones at the Israeli military jeeps.

No casualties were reported in the clashes, which continued until around midnight.

An Israeli army spokesperson said they were looking into reports.

Violent clashes between Israeli forces and Palestinians have been a daily occurrence across the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem, ever since Israeli forces installed metal detectors and security cameras at the Al-Aqsa following a deadly shootout at the holy site on July 14.

The move sparked protests from Palestinians, who said it was the latest example of Israeli authorities using Israeli-Palestinian violence as a means of furthering control over important sites in the occupied Palestinian territory and normalizing repressive measures against Palestinians.

On Tuesday, Israeli authorities announced that they would be taking down the metal detectors, only to be replace by more advanced surveillance technology in the Old City of East Jerusalem.

Religious leaders in Jerusalem held a meeting on Tuesday to discuss the new Israeli plan, with some telling Ma’an that despite the announced change, both religious leaders and the Palestinians “wouldn’t accept any changes to the status quo.”

According to Ma’an documentation, seven Palestinians have been killed by Israelis since the metal detectors were installed, four of whom were killed during clashes with Israeli forces. The Palestinian Red Crescent released a statement on Monday saying that 1,090 Palestinians had been injured since Israeli forces began violently suppressing demonstrations and marches against the procedures at Al-Aqsa.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2018