Sunday, April 22
Latest News
  1. Israeli settlers attempt to take over Palestinian homes in Hebron
  2. 15-year-old boy among 4 killed by Israeli snipers in Gaza
  3. On 4th Friday of protests in Gaza, 2 dead, over 40 wounded
  4. 25-year-old Palestinian succumbs to wounds sustained in Gaza protests
  5. Israeli settlers raid Ramallah-area village, spray racist graffiti
  6. Palestinian critically injured in the head during protests in Gaza
  7. Gaza activists move tents 50 meters closer to security fence
  8. Israeli police detain Palestinian at Qalandiya checkpoint
  9. Israel issues 41 administrative orders to Palestinian prisoners
  10. Israeli forces shell southern Gaza, injuring 5 Palestinians

Israeli forces suppress Friday march in Kafr Qaddum

Sept. 15, 2017 5:17 P.M. (Updated: Sept. 16, 2017 11:49 A.M.)
(File)
QALQILIYA (Ma’an) -- Israeli forces suppressed a weekly march in the village of Kafr Qaddum in the northern occupied West Bank district of Qalqiliya on Friday by shooting rubber-coated steel bullets at protesters.

Coordinator of the village’s popular resistance Murad Shteiwi said that Israeli forces raided the village and fired rubber-coated steel bullets at the protesters, without causing any injuries.

Israeli forces had also installed a military checkpoint at the entrance of the village Friday morning and banned supporters of the march from entering the village, according to Shteiwi. The soldiers also searched vehicles and checked identity cards of locals passing the checkpoint.

An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an she would look into reports.

Residents of Kafr Qaddum began staging weekly protests in 2011 against Israeli land confiscations, as well as the closure of the village's southern road by Israeli forces. The road, which has been closed for 14 years, is the main route to the nearby city of Nablus, the nearest economic center.

The Israeli army blocked off the road after expanding the illegal Israeli settlement of Kedumim in 2003, forcing village residents to take a bypass road in order to travel to Nablus, which has extended the travel time to Nablus from 15 minutes to 40 minutes, according to Israeli rights group B’Tselem.

Hundreds of Palestinians have been detained during the demonstrations since their start in 2011, and at least one protester was killed, while dozens have been injured by live fire, including 12 children, Shteiwi told Ma'an during a similar protest last year.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2018